Marketing is all about management of exchanged relationships. Marketing is used to create, keep and satisfy the customer you are serving. With the customer as the focus of its activities, it can be concluded that marketing is one of the premier components of business management. The term marketing was developed from the original meaning which means literally to going to market with goods for sale. From a sales process engineering perspective, marketing is “a set of processes that are interconnected and interdependent with other functions” of a business aimed at achieving customer interest and satisfaction. “the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large”, according to American Marketing Association”. The marketing concept proposes that in order to satisfy the organizational objectives, an organization should anticipate the needs and wants of potential consumers and satisfy them more effectively than its competitors. Because of the rise of the technology, marketing has somehow evolved as well by adapting to the online business world.
Online marketing, and also called online advertising or Internet advertising or web advertising, is a form of marketing and advertising which uses the internet to deliver promotional marketing messages to consumers. Consumers view online advertising as an unwanted distraction with few benefits and have increasingly turned to ad blocking for a variety of reasons. Many common online advertising practices are controversial and increasingly subject to regulation. Online ad revenues may not adequately replace other publishers’ revenue streams. Online marketing has types such as the email marketing, search engine marketing, social media marketing, display marketing and mobile advertising.
Benefits of online marketing
- Online advertising, and in particular social media, provides a low-cost means for advertisers to engage with large established communities.
- Online advertisers can collect data on their ads’ effectiveness. It helps online advertisers improve their ad campaigns over time.
- Advertisers have a wide variety of ways of presenting their promotional messages, including the ability to convey images, video, audio, and links. Unlike many offline ads, online ads also can be interactive.
- Publishers can offer advertisers the ability to reach customizable and narrow market segments for targeted advertising.
- Online advertising can reach nearly every global market, and online advertising influences offline sales.
- The delivery of online ads does not need to be linked to the publisher’s publication schedule thus online ads can be deployed immediately.
The most controversial and most common type is the email marketing. Now, what is email marketing? Email Marketing is ad copy comprising an entire email or a portion of an email message. Email marketing can be unsolicited, in which case, the sender may give the recipient an option to opt out of future emails, or it may be sent with the recipient’s prior consent. In simple words, it is the act of sending a commercial message, typically to a group of people, using email. Any email sent to a potential or current customer could be considered email marketing. Email marketing has evolved rapidly alongside the technological growth of the 21st century. It has been difficult to measure the effectiveness of marketing campaigns because target markets cannot be adequately defined. Email marketing carries the benefit of allowing marketers to identify returns on investment and measure and improve efficiency. Email marketing allows marketers to see feedback from users in real time, and to monitor how effective their campaign is in achieving market penetration, revealing a communication channel’s scope. At the same time, however, it also means that the more personal nature of certain advertising method, cannot be captured.
Types of Email Marketing
- Transactional emails. The primary purpose of a transactional email is to convey information regarding the action that triggered it. transactional emails are an opportunity to introduce or extend the email relationship with customers or subscribers to anticipate and answer questions or to cross-sell or up-sell products or services. Many email newsletter software vendors offer transactional email support, which gives companies the ability to include promotional messages within the body of transactional emails. There are also software vendors that offer specialized transactional email marketing services.
- Direct emails. This is when you send emails directly for communication purposes. Companies usually collect a list of customer or prospect email addresses to send direct promotional messages to, or they rent a list of email addresses from service companies. Safe-mail marketing is also used.
- Mobile email marketing. Email marketing develops large amounts of traffic through smartphones and tablets.
Benefits of email marketing:
- Email marketing is often reported as second only to search marketing as the most effective online marketing tactic. You can have an exact return of investment thus have a higher rate if done properly.
- Cheaper and faster than traditional mail, mainly because of the high cost and time required in a traditional mail campaign for producing the artwork, printing, addressing, and mailing.
- Advertisers can reach substantial numbers of email subscribers who have opted in for subscriptions.
- Almost half of the global internet users check or send email on a typical day.
- If compared to standard email, direct email marketing produces higher response rate and higher average order value for e-commerce businesses.
Disadvantages of email marketing:
- Subscribers miss your message because of format issues. Don’t let viewers miss your message because of multimedia or compatibility
- Subscriber engagement decay. observe your metrics and stay on top of your demographics
- Subscribers lost due to a lack of communication preferences. Diversify the way that you deliver your content
- Email marketing delivery rates. Build your own list and stay on top of the law.
- Email marketing may alienate certain customers. Never market the same message, or to the same audience
- Emails are most often skimmed not read, making it hard to form an impression. Make extra care in devising a hook which cannot be ignored
- Email marketing takes a considerable investment. Adjust your campaign to meet multiple goals and reap a steady return on investment